AKA: Angel of Knight City; Archangel; Mirrorshades; The Jedi; Chrome?
Actor: Jacob Pitts, Ref: Justified (mostly)
- 1 Concept
- 2 Tropes
- 3 Details
- 3.1 Super Abilities
- 3.2 Personality
- 3.3 Background
- 3.4 Social Network
- 3.5 Hero-Work
- 3.6 Other Notes
- 4 Traits (500 pts)
- 5 Notes
- 6 Trivia
Photokinetic, martial artist, "professional" super-spy/vigilante
He has unnaturally-mutated "hollow" eyes. He typically refers to his condition as pentachromacy, but that's selling it short. He sees all bands of the electromagnetic spectrum from infrared to ultraviolet, all at once, all the time. In daylight or around many radiation sources can be overwhelming (without his special sunglasses designed to block UV and infrared). As a result, he can operate in near-complete darkness without impediment. If he concentrates, he can also see further up or down the spectrum, allowing him to make out sources of radio waves, radar, microwaves, gamma radiation, or x-rays, though they can be difficult to distinguish in bright ambient light conditions.
He possesses, primarily, photokinetic abilities—the ability to bend and manipulate light, allowing him to create illusions, blinding flashes, or become invisible; he can also focus the light from a handheld source (like a flashlight) into a laser-like "blade." He is also able to manipulate electricity and magnetics to a limited degree, including shorting out small electronics, and manipulating electronic locks.
Through touch contact with another person, he can sense negative things they have done or are about to do. It is more of a feeling or suspicion than conscious imagery. The intensity of this instinct varies: petty theft or assault gives a mild signal, while murder gives a very strong response. He also senses similar danger to himself.
Initially a functioning introvert, slightly obsessive-compulsive, habit-prone and loyal-to-a-fault (on the extreme fringes of the autism scale); has trouble talking to people he doesn't know. Generally laid-back and playful when with people he knows. An unabashed geek, gamer, etc., though he tends toward outdoor, athletic pastimes. But as his fun-and-games is really disguised "training" to continually develop his reflexes and tactical mind, his levity masks his laser-focused, irresistible drive to thwart and punish those who prey on the weak and poison "his city."
Raphael was born and raised in the suburbs of Knight City, in an otherwise unremarkable family, his two parents' only child. He spent much of his time with his lifelong friend, Michael Fox, with whom he intended to join the Army after high school. However, in his sophomore year, his eyes began to mutate, resulting in vision problems that continued to worsen. He suffered from the inevitable internal and external social difficulties as a result, and his "disability" ultimately disqualified him from military service.
After graduating high school, Raphael and Michael reluctantly parted ways, Michael joining the Army as planned, while Raphael instead took a graphic-design scholarship to Palm City University. At university, seemingly out of nowhere, Raphael was taken in by the mysterious martial-arts master known only to him as "Shihan," who helped him learn to live with and develop his new abilities, as well as training him in combat and tactics. Raphael quickly tired of college shenanigans, and dropped out after two years, to train with Shihan full-time. After seven years of training, Shihan [disappeared suddenly]. Left alone, Raphael decided to return home to Knight City to put his training to use.
Return to Knight City
Raphael's parents had moved to Farmville some years back, as a result of rising crime rates in their home suburbs, and a near-thing or two. Raphael temporarily lived with Michael, returned from the US Army after four years of service and now in the KCPD, and married. Restless, Raphael looked for work during the day, but patrolled the streets and subways at night, looking for opportunities to defend the weak, as Shihan taught him. His heroics won him the attention of a mysterious figure, identified only as "Gabriel," who approached him remotely with an offer to continue his vigilante work with full sponsorship—he accepted. Raphael was then placed with a bicycle messenger service company called Aegis Courier Co., a front for Gabriel's operation he referred to as Project Spectrum, which he would use to feed Raphael intel and takedown missions—mostly focusing on white-collar, corporate crime—while allowing him to slip unnoticed through the corporate world.
- Michael Fox (+1): Best-friend, low-level policeman that occasionally goes out "hunting" w/ Rafe; a bit of an adrenaline-junky, and Rafe's "instigator"
- Rhett "Shadow" Mercatos (+0): Traceur, skateboarder, and coworker (runner) at Aegis; occasionally helps Archangel on the side, not knowing his ID
- Samantha "Sting" Marsh (+0): Traceur, inline-skater, and coworker (runner) at Aegis; occasionally helps Archangel on the side, not knowing his ID
- Dante (+0): Hacker/Techie rescued by Archangel
Additional Network Members
- "Gabriel" (+0): Unseen Patron. Unknown whether he's corporate, gov't, or something else, but he's got money and connections
- "Yuri" (Uriel) (+0): The hand of Gabriel. Rule of Drama: mostly as a stand-in for Gabriel, who is usually not physically present or accessible, otherwise "things that must be done."
- Sarah Sainte (+0): The crush (not GF yet), an early rescue he's been almost stalking since.
- "Shihan" (+0): MIA/KIA Aikijutsu master. Rule of Drama: may appear in flashbacks or whatnot as a stand-in for his teachings in general.
- Father Eli (+0): priest at [Catholic church] Rafe generally goes to for confession, etc. (AKA "therapy"); acts as emergency medical, safe-house, etc. Rule of Drama: more often a stand-in for God/religion.
- Jody Cross (+0): Sarah's current fiancée. Rule of Drama: will start to see Rafe as a "threat" early on, building to a rivalry (or possibly worse) that will outlive his engagement to Sarah—a Mr. McGee, at least.
Notable Non-Network Characters
- Dane Costen: new coworker (runner) at Aegis (floater; may be sidekick, enemy/rival, or just extra)
- Family: [Father]; [Mother]
- Keira Judge: coworker (boss/dispatch) at Aegis
- Kenny Bly: sensei at Warriors' Way (Tenshin Aikido/Combatives dojo)
- Missions for Gabriel take place mostly in the financial district (inc. [Gold Coast]) or industrial areas
- Often patrols via transit lines
- Has a basic Arrow-style lair/cave, outfitted by Gabriel (location?—probably near/in/under the Aegis HQ). Ref: "The Bunker"-Watch_Dogs?
- "Reasonably priced" studio apartment in Near North Side; ("1140 N Lasalle Street")
- Doesn't own a car
Traits (500 pts)
ST 12 ; DX 13 ; IQ 13 ; HT 12* .
Damage 1d-1/1d+2; BL 29 lb; HP 12 ; Will 13 ; Per 13 ; FP 12 .
Basic Speed 6.25 ; Basic Move 7 ; Dodge 9.
5' 8"; 175lbs.
TL: 8 .
CF: Japanese Culture ; Western Culture (Native) .
Languages: English (Native) ; Japanese (Accented) ; Spanish (Accented) .
Templates and Meta-Traits
Aikijutsu (Martial Arts; p. MA149) ; Kali (Martial Arts; p. MA155) ; Modern Pistol (p. TacS48) ; Traceur (p. A3:9) .
Ally (Michael Fox; 25% of starting points; 15 or less) ; Craftiness 2 ; Ergokinesis Talent 4 ; ESP Talent 1 ; Fit ; Flash 3 (Psi; Costs FP (+1)) ; Gifted Artist 1 ; Hologram 5 (Psi) ; Hyperspectral Vision (Always On (effects are physically inconvenient); Extended High-Band (Requires Concentrate, -15%; Low-Light Required, -15%); Extended Low-Band (Requires Concentrate, -15%; Low-Light Required, -15%); Nuisance Effect: ability physically inconveniences you; Super; Temporary Disadvantage (Bad Sight: Hyperspectral; Mitigator: Special Glasses, Low-Light Conditions) (-10)) ; Light-Sword 3 (Psi; Burning Attack; Accessibility (Requires hand-held light source (e.g. flashlight)) (+2); Armor Divisor (2); Costs FP (+1); Incendiary; Ergokinesis; Cannot Parry; Melee Attack: Destructive Parry; Melee Attack: Reach C,1) ; Patron ("Gabriel"; 12 or less) ; Perfect Balance ; Photorefraction 10 (Psi; Costs FP (+5)) ; Protected Vision (Psi; Ergokinetic) ; Remote Control 1 (Psi; Specific (Very Simple Circuits/Triggers) (+5)) ; Surge 1 (Psi) ; Trained By A Master ; Visions (Psi; Aspected: Security Instinct; ESP; Uncontrollable Trigger (Human Contact) (Very Common)) .
Perks: Light Amplification (Ergokinesis); Masked Shtick; Off-Hand Weapon Training (Smallsword); Psychic Photography (Ergokinesis); Style Familiarity (Aikijutsu); Style Familiarity (Kali); Weapon Adaptation (Shortsword to Smallsword); Weapon Bond (Large Tactical Flashlight). 
Code of Honor (Private Investigator) [-10]; Intolerance (Bullies; One group) [-5]; Light Sleeper (Light Sensitive) [-5]; Obsession (Crimefighting; Long-Term Goal; 12 or less) [-10]; Overconfidence (12 or less) [-5]; Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10]; Secret Identity (Vigilante; Possible Death) [-30]; Sense of Duty (Knight City) [-10]; Sense of Duty (Team) [-5]; Shyness (Mild) [-5].
Quirks: Doesn't trust easily; Hollow Eyes (Unnatural Feature); Lives clean; doesn't drink or smoke, etc.; Mildly OCD; Sometimes-practicing Catholic (Disciplines of Faith). [-5]
Acrobatics (H) DX+1 -14†; Acting (A) IQ+1 -14‡; Area Knowledge (local) (E) IQ+1 -14; Armoury/TL8 (Small Arms) (A) IQ-1 -12; Artist (Drawing) (H) IQ+1 -14§; Artist (Illusion) (H) IQ-1 -12§; Artist (Painting) (H) IQ-1 -12§; Bicycling (E) DX+1 -14; Climbing (A) DX+1 -14†; Computer Operation/TL8 (E) IQ -13; Current Affairs/TL8 (Business) (E) IQ -13; Detect Lies (H) Per-1 -12; Diplomacy (H) IQ-1 -12¶; Disguise/TL8 (Human) (A) IQ+1 -14**; Electronics Operation/TL8 (Security) (A) IQ-1 -12; Expert Skill (Computer Security) (H) IQ-1 -12; Fast-Draw (Pistol) (E) DX -13; Fast-Draw (Tonfa) (E) DX -13; Fast-Draw/TL8 (Ammo) (E) DX -13; Fast-Talk (A) IQ-1 -12¶; First Aid/TL8 (Human) (E) IQ -13; Flash (H) Will+3 -16††; Forced Entry (E) DX -13; Guns/TL8 (Pistol) (E) DX+1 -14; Hidden Lore (Martial Arts) (A) IQ-1 -12; Holdout (A) IQ+1 -14**; Hologram (H) IQ+3 -16††; Immovable Stance (H) DX+2 -15‡‡; Judo (H) DX+3 -16; Jumping (E) DX+1 -14; Karate (H) DX+3 -16; Light-Sword (H) Will+3 -16††; Lockpicking/TL8 (A) IQ-1 -12; Main-Gauche (A) DX -13; Mathematics/TL8 (Applied) (H) IQ-2 -11; Mechanic/TL8 (Bicycle) (A) IQ-1 -12; Meditation (H) Will-1 -12; Musical Instrument (Guitar, Electric) (H) IQ-2 -11; Observation (A) Per-1 -12§§; Photography/TL8 (A) IQ -13§; Photorefraction (H) IQ+3 -16††; Physics/TL8 (Electrodynamics) (H) IQ-1 -12; Pressure Points (Human) (H) IQ-1 -12; Push (H) DX+1 -14; Remote Control (H) IQ+2 -15††; Running (A) HT -12; Savoir-Faire (Dojo) (E) IQ-1 -12¶; Search (A) Per-1 -12§§; Shadowing (A) IQ+1 -14**; Smallsword (A) DX+3 -16; Stealth (A) DX+3 -16**; Surge (H) Will+3 -16††; Swimming (E) HT -12¶¶; Tactics (H) IQ-1 -12; Tonfa (A) DX-1 -12; Urban Survival (A) Per-1 -12; Vision (H) IQ-1 -12***; Wrestling (A) DX-1 -12.
Techniques: Acrobatic Stand (Acrobatics) (A) -10; Arm Lock (Judo) (A) -17; Arm Lock (Smallsword) (A) -17.
- * Conditional +1 from 'Fit'.
- † Includes +1 from 'Perfect Balance'.
- ‡ Includes +2 from 'Craftiness', -1 from 'Shyness'.
- § Includes +1 from 'Gifted Artist'.
- ¶ Includes -1 from 'Shyness'.
- ** Includes +2 from 'Craftiness'.
- †† Includes +4 from 'Ergokinesis Talent'.
- ‡‡ Includes +4 from 'Perfect Balance'.
- §§ Conditional +3 from 'Hyperspectral Vision' when spotting hidden clues or objects.
- ¶¶ Conditional -2 from 'Encumbrance Penalty'.
- *** Includes +1 from 'ESP Talent'.
- Essentially a "professional" white-collar crime troubleshooter/vigilante/corp-spy, specializing in getting in & out unseen, working for a voice-behind-a-computer.
- The "nice guy"
- Lot of "story" similarities to Daredevil
- Should play like Jack Reacher